Saturday, January 13, 2007

From my window.

The first assignment we got in our first art class in secondary school was to draw the view from our bedroom window. I always thought it was a sneaky way of doing some social snooping so I did the view from the front instead which looked out at another house. Plus it was easier to draw one house rather than a view that stretched over open fields to the horizon. Like I was really going to spend all night trying to do a Turner landscape.
Now my workroom is also high up but the window is small and I often feel like the prisoner in L'etranger only able to see a patch of sky. However, I love watching the sky. Yes, as a kid, there was no purer joy than to lie on the grass and watch the clouds. I wish I could relax enough to do that now : ( .
Cloud race past the window, always left to right, rushing who knows where. They draw a constant stream of colour and shape, much better than anything on television or even the most psychedelic screensaver. They always leave me with the question of how something so dark and grey can pump out so much light.

No comments: